10 Steps To Clearer Skin
At some stage in all of our lives, we want clearer, fresher, younger-looking skin. We are finding that many clients coming through our salon complaining of adult acne so we thought we would put this together to help those that are suffering with adult breakout. Important to note that it can be achieved without dropping a ton of money and it can happen naturally! What you must do is persevere and over the course of two to three weeks, your skin will begin to look fresher and clearer. Here's how;
Keeping your skin clean is your first priority! You must cleanse your face morning and night with a gentle, natural cleanser that not only rids the skin of dirt and grime but then balances the PH in the skin so you don't feel stripped of all your natural oils and dehydrated.
2. After cleansing the skin pat dry and then spray a fine hydrating mist over the face to cool and help close the pores while they are clean. Let this mist dry on the face.
3. When the mist has dried apply a very small amount of serum to your face concentrating on areas that you know need it most then follow with your moisturizer over the entire face and neck. Look for a moisturizer that is made for problem skin types and contains antibacterial ingredients like tea tree oil and lavender essential oil. These ingredients are gentle but very effective at clearing the skin from blemishes and pimples.
4. Getting the right amount of restful sleep your body needs nightly will reflect in the state of your skin. Seven hours is generally adequate. Not enough sleep over a period of time will result in problems that are hard to cure such as loose skin under the eyes and dark circles.
5. The food you eat is of the utmost importance for healthy, clear skin! Make sure you are getting a good amount of fresh fruits and vegetables and limit your red meat intake to three or four times a week. Foods that are easily digested will help your system keep your skin nourished and promote fresh, new cell growth. Drink lots and lots of water too!
6. Cleanse the skin on your body and face with a weekly scrub. When using a body scrub, start at your feet and work towards the heart, this helps eliminate toxins. Doing it in the opposite direction will push the toxins back into your system. Use a very gentle facial scrub on your face and neck as these areas can be easily damaged. Dry brushing daily also works wonders for dead skin cells and blood circulation.
7.Once a month try to get a detox facial, the professional mask will help calm and promote healing of any angry skin or sore pimples
8. Get out into the fresh air and take a walk, swim in the sea, ride a bike, and have fun! The exercise will boost your system and your skin will love it.
9. Take a fish oil supplement daily. Cultures that eat a lot of fish have clearer skin and the fish oil helps eliminate toxins from the body and by now you know that is fantastic for your skin!
10. Check your make-up to see what is clogging your pore and might be causing the breakout, wash all your make-up brushes regularly and clean out old make up that may have dirt built up in them
These ten easy tips will help you get that clear skin you so desperately want, remember to make the lifestyle changes you need to and enjoy the benefits that will come with it! A fresher, clearer, more youthful-looking complexion.
In a world of tight schedules, harmful pollution, chemically-laden products, high anxiety, and environmental toxin overload, it is impossible for our skin not to feel and show the effects of it all! Thankfully, with a little commitment, you can maintain your skin's natural beauty in the comfort of your own home! Keep reading to get some tips and simple at-home methods to reduce stress, maintain your radiant skin, and decrease the signs of aging!
Cleansing Your Skin
The first step in caring for your skin is to properly cleanse it! Perspiration, grease, dust, stale make-up, dirt, and bacteria all collect on your skin and must be completely removed. There are many different skin types; oily, dry, sensitive, and prone to acne. Different cleansers do better with each individual type based on the pH and other varying factors. Cleansing helps to clean the skin, open the pores, and allows for the skin to best absorb the products you are going to apply. If you wear a good amount of make-up, you may want to first use a makeup remover to get the majority of the make-up off your face prior to cleansing.
To properly cleanse, begin by wetting the face with lukewarm water. Apply the cleanser that is best for your skin type on your face and neck and gently massage in a circular, upward motion for at least five minutes (duration also depends on the instructions provided with the cleanser you are using). Remove by using a damp washcloth and warm water to ensure all of the residue is removed from the face.
Toning Your Skin
Next, tone your skin using skin freshener (mild), skin tonic (medium strength), or an astringent lotion (strong). It's supposed to help remove any remaining greasiness on your skin after the cleansing process is complete. It helps to close pores and maintain the skin's natural pH, and if you intend to use makeup, it leaves a smooth clean texture which will hold foundation and powder much longer. But what if I told you that is all a myth and with our Ella Bache Cleansers you don't need to tone because our cleansers are formulated to leave your skin ph balanced. That is why it is important to have your skin diagnosis and get you the right prescription on your cleanser.
Nourishing Your Skin
Nourishing your skin is also an essential part of any beauty routine. Dirt, dust, hot and cold weather, cosmetics, and even sunlight, all tend to dry out the skin, robbing it of moisture and oil. Consequently, making sure to cleanse your face each night before bed is essential to younger looking skin. Skin "foods" or moisturizers attempt to replenish nourishment to the skin, reviving its natural healthiness. Again, different moisturizers work well for different skin types. If your skin is more on the oily side, avoid moisturizers that contain oils and opt for one that contains glycerin instead. If you have drier skin, applying a moisturizer right after washing your face is beneficial to prevent drying and to get moisturizer locked in right away. If you have neutral skin, you can usually get away with using a product that contains oil or glycerin. Just make sure to look for a product for neutral skin types.
A facial is the quickest way of cleansing, reviving, and brightening faded skin, leaving the skin light, soft and glowing. A facial also does a thorough job of relaxing frazzled nerves so that you emerge not only looking younger but also feeling fresher and more relaxed! A facial once or twice each month will ensure rejuvenated and fresh skin for a long time to come!
If it is in your budget to seek out a spa or professional for your facial, find someone who uses natural products and pays attention to your skin type. However, if you do not have the time or cannot afford the luxury of regular salon treatments, you can give yourself a facial at home! Choose a time when you can be undisturbed and quiet, and get everything ready before you start so that you can relax and really enjoy it!
Follow the routine below for a quick, at-home facial:
- Tie your hair away from your face and neck, using a headband to pull any remaining hair away from your forehead.
- Begin by removing your makeup either using makeup remover wipes, coconut oil or another method to remove all residue from the face. Cleanse your face and neck with a good cleanser and thoroughly remove.
- The next step is a gentle exfoliation to remove dead skin cells, dirt, and bacteria allowing the skin to best absorb the other products. We love using a simple, DIY exfoliant of organic coffee grounds, hot water, and warmed organic coconut oil but you can also find wonderful store-bought products to use.
- Prepare a face mask suited to your skin type. On a thoroughly cleansed and exfoliated face, spread a fairly thick layer avoiding the mouth area and creating large circles round the eyes. Then, lie on your back and keep the mask on for 15 to 20 minutes or until dry. There are many options for creating an amazing mask at home but the one we love the most is a simple concoction of organic coconut oil, honey and fresh avocado.
- When the mask is dry, wash your face and neck with lukewarm water, keeping your eyes closed. Dry your skin and apply your favorite toner that is best for your skin type.
- Lastly, now that the skin is thoroughly cleansed, exfoliated, and the pores are open, it is time to apply skin serum and/or moisturizer to the face. Spend some time massaging it in using upward, circular motions.
Massaging your Skin
Massaging your face is another essential practice for healthy skin and can also be really relaxing! While being an effective way to counter wrinkles, massaging is a slow process and its results are obvious only if it is practiced regularly for an extended period of time. That said, there is no doubt that massage is highly beneficial for tightening facial tissues, increasing blood flow, stimulating nerves and thus, boosting collagen production.
Massage is most effective if the skin is thoroughly cleansed first. Do not forget to remove all traces of makeup, otherwise particles of dirt will end up blocking the pores of the skin. If the skin is oily, then remove oiliness by applying cleansing milk or some astringent lotion. Fresh lemon juice is also very effective in removing excess oiliness. If the skin is dry, use a good moisturizer before massaging it. Finally, apply Vitamin E cream using only enough to give sufficient greasiness to the skin so that the hands and fingers move smoothly on the face.
After having cleaned the skin, press it with light but firm fingers, putting a little pressure while applying a good moisturizer. Make sure to hold the skin firmly and apply even pressure. The massage should start from the neck and move upwards ending at the forehead or temples. Veins and tissues get an increased flow of oxygen/ blood supply by this process. The skin around the eyes is delicate so it is advisable to apply cream on this part without pressing it in too deeply. Cream takes 15 to 20 minutes to get absorbed by the skin, so massage should continue that long. Gently wipe off excess cream when finished.
The Art of Massaging
- Slow Massage - This is the most common method of massage and the most relaxing. The secret is to massage slowly while patting the skin. Using the fleshy part of your finger tips, press the skin lightly with a slow, stroking motion.. The process starts at the base of the neck at a slow speed. Stroking gives rest to the nerves and the vibration is useful in subduing pain that might be caused over more sensitive areas..
- Fast Massage - The front half of both the palms are used to massage at speed, taking care to make a circular motion upwards
- Pressure Massage - This is a method when slow, deep pressure is applied by the fingertips and is very effective for removing pouches beneath eyes.
-Stroking Massage - Cheeks are stroked with the tips of fingers and strokes are applied from the nose to the temples on both sides
- Pinching Massage - Effective for a sagging chin or wrinkles on the jawline, the skin is held, as in pinchers, between the thumb and fingers and gently massaged.
- Friction Massage - This massage requires pressure on the skin while it is being moved over the underlying bone and muscle structures. Fingers or palms are usually best for this type of massage and hard movements are usually employed on the scalp while light movements are used on the face and neck.
- Piano Playing Movements - This exercise develops facial muscles and makes them firm. It should be done with the fingers on the entire face, especially the cheek area.